Sunday 24 April 2016

Makeup in Motion Evaluation

The project theme was Makeup in Motion and was all about creating makeup for HD and moving pictures for example TV programmes and films, at first I was initially worried about this unit especially with the continuity part as this isn't the area of makeup that I want to go into, I feel very restricted when working to a TV or film brief and fortunately I found a loophole in this during the second half of the unit by choosing American Horror Story Hotel where the makeup could be inspired more by fashion because of this I found this part of the project the most interesting as I could research concepts and themes that I am more interested in and create more in depth characters. 
I have learnt loads of new techniques in the technical side of this unit, I have been introduced to fullers earth and tooth enamel which would look really good in fashion work for example the fullers earth being sprayed with coloured hairsprays to create really interesting textures, I have also learnt how to colour gelatine which I also would be a good thing to experiment with by dripping it onto the skin or creating patterns in it. I think these new techniques I have learnt are very valuable and I would like to develop these further especially when creating my editorial series for digital image and editorial writing unit.
I have spent a lot of time researching different time periods for example the victorian era, 1930's and 1990's and also artists like Nan Goldin, Marilyn Minter and also different films that have some of the themes that were present in my novel and TV series. they have influenced my work by giving me a better understanding of what was happening at the time for example when designing Claudia, I looked at the 1990's and the heroin chic epidemic which influenced my design work greatly. And artists like Marilyn Minter and Nan Goldin gave me ideas on how to photograph my characters to make them more realistic.
The technique I enjoyed the most during this project was using glycerine to make the skin shiny and distressed and also using eye gloss to distress the makeup further, I feel like this is such a simple thing to do but it completely changes the feeling and mood of the character. 
I feel like the most successful part of this project is the second part, as I had a lot more creative freedom and this made me enjoy the second brief more and really focus on perfecting designs. 
The main problems that I encountered during this project was mainly how much I do not enjoy special effects makeup, because of this I really feel like my skills were not shown especially in the technical side of the unit and this at some points really got me down because my work wasn't up to par with the other students, however this has confirmed to me that this is not the area of makeup that I want to go into and has actually benefitted my work as I have focused in on defining my skills in fashion makeup, and has made me more creative in the ways that I create a character by using subtle things rather than a huge wound, although this could have been effective for one persons skillet, for mine it wouldn't. 
If I had the chance to do this project differently I think I would try to be a lot more experimental and out there with some of my designs for example in my continuity assessment, I would have designed a makeup that was more elaborate as on the assessment days I feel like my makeup faded into the background as others stood out a lot more, however I think my minimal design worked more because it was suitable for film and was easier to keep continuity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment