Monday 4 April 2016

Effects of Substance Abuse on the Body

For my character Claudia I have to study the effects of substance abuse on the body, this is something that I want to incorporate into the makeup as a character effect. In my story Claudia has developed a reliance on illegal and damaging substances through a detrimental relationship with a drug dealer. The substance that I want to mainly focus on is heroin as I feel this would suit my character the best.

Heroin can be smoked, snorted or injected and is absorbed quickly into the body and has elicit results, continued use of this substance can bring devistation to both physical and mental health. Short term effects include;
  • Flushes
  • Reduced sensations of pain.
  • Drowsiness.
  • Sedation.
  • Lethargy.
Side effects include;
  • Nausea and vomiting.
  • Grogginess.
  • Confusion.
  • Dry mouth.
  • Itchy skin.
  • Miotic or constricted pupils.
  • Light sensitivity.
  • Lower than normal body temperature.
  • Slowed respiration.
  • Slowed heart rate.
  • Cyanotic (bluish) hands, feet, lips, etc.
And long term effects include;
  • Decreased dental health marked by damaged teeth and gum swelling.
  • Excoriated skin from scratching.
  • Severe constipation.
  • Increased susceptibility to disease from diminished immune system.
  • Weakness and sedation.
  • Poor appetite and malnutrition.
  • Sleeping problems.
  • Decrease in sexual functioning.
The main aspects that I want to focus on when looking at heroin addiction for my character is the tracks that are left on the arms from injecting heroin however, I don't think I want to limit this to just the arms of my character as heroin is often inject the drug into different parts of the body as the vein can become used and they will need to start using the neck, in-between the fingers or toes and also sometimes in the groin. For my character because she is a regular user of heroin I want to create these track marks on her arms, neck and in-between her fingers as this is what will be visible in shot. I will also look into making the lips blue and giving my character signs of perspiration. 

Unknown. (2006). Long Term Effects of Heroin. Available: http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/heroin/long-term-effects.html. Last accessed 4th April 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment