Monday 4 April 2016

Art Deco - Inspiration for my Setting

When looking at images of the set of American Horror Story, I can see that is it heavily influenced by the Art Deco style - this is a style that spanned from the 1920's through to the 1930's and it affected all forms of design, from the fine and decorative arts and fashion, film, photography, transport and production design. It can be characterised by highly stylised natural and geometric forms and ornaments, which are usually strongly symmetrical.

The setting of the hotel also has a subtle nod towards the shining. The thing I like so much about how the hotel is designed is the sense of grandeur that is achieved through this Art Deco style, and also that if it was built in the 1930's the decor now  would be a little bit worn, outdated and creepy.

During the 1930's there was a great depression going on, Art Deco could only be afforded by the upper and middle class, materials like chrome and nickel were popular and unlike the 1920's the colour scheme was very light, cream and ivory were commonly used as well as pastel pinks, yellows and this was contrasted with dark greens and reds. Mirrored surfaces were commonly used.

I think this relates to my character Mrs. Laderman as this is her style, it will coincide with the way she dresses and will mirror her lust for riches. So for my set I wont be looking at changing things or redesigning the hotel because I believe it suits my character perfectly. 

As I wont be shooting my characters on set, I will need to look at getting some wallpaper samples and using fur throws, and gold to create an illusion of a glamorous set.  








No comments:

Post a Comment