Monday 29 February 2016

Analysis of Chosen Character Carmilla for Screening.

I have chosen to create my character Carmilla for a film, because of this I need to make sure my makeup is suitable for HD and also that I keep good continuity throughout the makeup. The stage of the makeup I am going to focus on is mainly the end chapter, this is because we finally find out the big plot twist that Carmilla is actually Mircilla and we are enlightened about vampires, I believe this part of the film will give me the most freedom to create something that is a little bit more than a straight period makeup, but I still want to keep it simple as we only have 1hr 20mins to complete the whole makeup and hair design and we also need to keep continuity as I will be applying the makeup twice.

For Carmilla's makeup I will want to be creating a flawless porcelain base, that is slightly sculpted so you are able to see her features, with rosy cheeks, to create this I will use Supracolour and blend it into the apples of the cheeks so it looks more like a stain than an actual blush application, I want this to look unnatural against the white skin, this goes along with the image of the ideal Victorian woman, as Carmilla was meant to be extremely attractive. If I am creating the scene when she is in the coffin then I might add some sweat or some chapped lips to make her look like she has been dead.

Because the novel was published in 1872 I will have to create a late Victorian hairstyle for Carmilla, however it is often pointed out in the novel that Carmilla would wear her hair loose, so I want to incorporate this into my hair design. However because Carmilla is actually Mircilla she was actually around 1698 making her 174 years old, so I might also take some influence from Stuart hairstyles (1603 - 1714) and give a nod to this period. Ideally I would create my hair to look like the portraits of women in their boudoir (long flowing waves that are slightly frizzy) and leave it completely down, but I don't think this would reference my period well enough, so I will take the hair off the face and pin it up slightly at the back.

In the way of styling I have been inspired by Victorian mourning dress, and also by Victorian nightdresses as a lot of the main parts of this novel take place at night time, It is said in the novel that Carmilla wears mainly white. I want Carmilla's mannerisms to be very dream like, she will move slowly and smoothly, and will always look slightly fatigued and/ or emaciated. Her mannerisms  will be ladylike, but at times pretensions and false.

The impact I want my character to create is one of unease, although my character will be visually attractive, but will be strangely off and slightly demonic. I want the viewers not to trust my character simply from her appearance. The end scene that I am creating I feel like my makeup will be made to shock the viewer, as it will be such a large contrast to the beautiful languid character that has been seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment