Sunday 7 February 2016

Early Victorian Hair (Technical)

Products
  • Hair Tie
  • Hair Pins
  • Tail Comb
  • Tongs

Procedure
  • Section the hair into a clean middle parting to about the ears.
  • Section off the back section and smooth into a low ponytail.
  • Pull the ponytail into a bun (use plait, or twisted bun technique.)
  • Pin the bun securely into place.
  • Take the front sections and loosely plait from about the ears, round the earlobe and pin it onto the bun.
  • OR simply curve hair into a triangle shape and pin round bun.
  • OR keep hair loose and curl into the face from about ear height.
Inspiration
These are some images that I have collected of early Victorian hairstyles, I have used these to base my Victorian hair technical on, I have stuck to portraits, illustrations and busts from the time to make sure that the hair is an accurate representation rather than just an interpretation. I really like the photo on the right, this is a bust of Queen Victoria that I saw in the National Portrait Gallery in London, so this is what I will recreate in my hair technical.


The first 3 images show my first attempt at this early Victorian hairstyle, as you can see in the right hand side photographs my sectioning could be a lot neater, however I do think the rest of the style looks really neat. I first plaited the hair too tight and too far up the hair during the first try, so I went back again and plaited the hair looser and further down, as you can see from the photographs this looks a lot more effective and gives the classic Victorian shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment