Sunday 28 February 2016

Analysis of Chapter XV : Ordeal and Execution & XVI : Conclusion

For my final makeup design I want to focus on the final chapter of the book, this is where Mircilla is executed in her tomb and it is the part of the book where I feel like I will be able to build the best character for my film.

When the tomb was opened Carmilla was described as "The features, though a hundred and fifty years had passed since her funeral, were tinted with the warmth of life... there was a faint but appreciable respiration, and a corresponding action of the heart. The limbs were perfectly flexible, the flesh elastic, and the leaden coffin floated with blood, in which to a depth of seven inches, the body lay immersed." This is the scene in which I want to create my makeup for, because it is almost like she returns to her grave and bathes in the blood to retain beauty or youth, I imagine the character in the blood to be slightly imperfect and this is what I will base my makeup design around, maybe by using glycerine for sweat, or contouring to create a slightly emaciated look.

The conclusion that was given about vampires in this novel is that they live an amphibious existence and they return to their grave for renewed slumber and that they are prone to become fascinated and engrossed to particular people, which comes across and resembles the passion of love, and they will not stop until they have drained the life of their victim. The strange thing about vampires in this novel is that they seem to yearn for something like sympathy or consent off their victim, but with ordinary victims it goes directly to them, and usually kills them with one single feast.

The novel ends with this final verse "Carmilla returns to memory with ambiguous alternations - sometimes the playful, languid, beautiful girl; sometimes the writhing fiend I saw in the ruined church; and often from a reverie I have started, fancying I heard the light step of Carmilla at the drawing room door." I really like the ending of this book as it shows how Laura is still plagued by the images of Carmilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment